
El-Rufai N10bn suit against ICPC
Former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai has opened another legal front against the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, asking the Federal High Court in Abuja to award him ₦10 billion in damages over what he describes as an unlawful denial of access to members of his family while in detention.
The El-Rufai N10bn suit against ICPC also seeks a court order compelling the anti-corruption commission and other respondents to grant the former governor unhindered and reasonable access to his family and legal counsel throughout his detention.
The fundamental-rights action, marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1852/2026, was filed on August 13, 2026, through El-Rufai’s lawyer, Ubong Akpan.
Apart from the ICPC, El-Rufai joined the commission’s chairman, Musa Adamu Aliyu, and the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi, as respondents.
The former governor is asking the court for nine reliefs arising from allegations that his wife, Aichatou Asabe, and his son, Abba El-Rufai, were repeatedly prevented from seeing him and supplying food, medication and other necessities while he remained in custody.
El-Rufai Alleges Violation of Constitutional Rights
At the heart of the El-Rufai N10bn suit against ICPC is the former governor’s argument that detention does not extinguish the fundamental rights guaranteed to him under the Nigerian Constitution.
He is asking the court to declare that his rights under Part IV of the 1999 Constitution remain enforceable despite his detention.
According to the originating processes, El-Rufai contends that repeatedly preventing his immediate family from visiting him without lawful justification or a court order amounts to an infringement of his right to human dignity and private and family life.
His lawyers cited Sections 34 and 37 of the 1999 Constitution, as well as Articles 5 and 18 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights.
El-Rufai is also asking the court to declare that the continued alleged restriction of family access is unconstitutional, illegal, null and void.
The allegations have not yet been determined by the court, and the filing represents El-Rufai’s account of events rather than a judicial finding against the commission.
Wife, Son Allegedly Restrained by ICPC Officials
The El-Rufai N10bn suit against ICPC goes beyond complaints about ordinary visiting restrictions.
El-Rufai alleges that ICPC officers physically restrained and intimidated his wife and son during an incident on July 7.
He argues that the alleged treatment constituted arbitrary interference with his spousal and family relationships.
The former governor further claims that the restrictions prevented his family from delivering food, medication and other personal necessities to him.
In the supporting affidavit, his Principal Secretary, Mohammed Shaba, said Aichatou Asabe had been responsible for taking food, clothing, medication and other essential items to El-Rufai while he was in custody.
Shaba said she had regularly visited the former governor and delivered those items without obstruction before July 7.
The affidavit states that the information concerning the alleged incident was supplied to Shaba by Asabe on July 12.
El-Rufai Seeks ₦10bn Damages
Apart from declarations concerning his constitutional rights, the El-Rufai N10bn suit against ICPC seeks an award of ₦10 billion in damages.
El-Rufai alleges that the restrictions have caused him humiliation, emotional trauma, anxiety and psychological distress.
His legal team argues that the alleged conduct amounts to an unjustifiable interference with his dignity and family life.
The ₦10 billion demand should, however, be understood for what it is: a claim placed before the court.
It is not a fine already imposed on the ICPC and it does not mean the former governor has been awarded the money.
The Federal High Court will ultimately have to determine whether a violation occurred and, if it finds in El-Rufai’s favour, whether damages should be awarded and in what amount.
Earlier Court Order Becomes Central to Dispute
A significant issue in the El-Rufai N10bn suit against ICPC is an earlier order made by the Federal High Court in Kaduna.
According to the affidavit supporting El-Rufai’s latest suit, Justice R.M. Aikawa had on April 1 ordered the ICPC to allow defendants access to their lawyers and personal physicians whenever required.
El-Rufai’s lawyers rely on that order as part of their argument that a person in custody should not be held incommunicado and that conditions of detention remain subject to judicial supervision.
The latest application seeks an order granting El-Rufai reasonable and unhindered access not only to his lawyers but also members of his family throughout his continued detention.
This distinction could become important when the respondents formally answer the suit because previous ICPC statements have contested interpretations of what existing court orders require concerning visitors.
ICPC Previously Rejected Similar Allegations
There is another side to the controversy.
Months before the latest El-Rufai N10bn suit against ICPC, the commission publicly denied allegations that it was treating the former Kaduna governor inhumanely or unlawfully denying him access to food and visitors.
In May, ICPC spokesperson John Odey said reports surrounding El-Rufai’s treatment in custody were false and misleading.
The commission defended what it called its Access Control Protocol and said restrictions at its headquarters were governed by security procedures.
The ICPC also disputed claims that it had violated a court order granting family access.
According to the commission’s account at the time, El-Rufai’s wife had delivered breakfast and lunch to him earlier on the same day she was later reportedly prevented from entering the facility at about 7 p.m.
The ICPC maintained that its procedures were lawful, humane and consistently applied.
Those earlier denials are important because the latest action will now give a court an opportunity to consider the competing claims if the case proceeds to substantive determination.
ICPC Says El-Rufai’s Detention Is Court-Backed
The anti-graft commission has also previously defended the legal basis of El-Rufai’s detention.
In an official statement issued in March, the ICPC said El-Rufai remained in lawful custody pursuant to court orders connected with investigations into allegations of money laundering and abuse of office.
The commission said an initial remand order permitted it to hold him for 14 days and that a subsequent extension was granted as investigations continued.
It also said El-Rufai’s attempt to set aside an earlier remand order had been dismissed by the court.
The ICPC maintained that it was acting in accordance with the Administration of Criminal Justice Act and insisted that disputes concerning the former governor should be resolved through the judicial process rather than through media exchanges.
The legality of El-Rufai’s broader detention is therefore distinct from the specific question raised in his latest case: whether the conditions under which he is being held unlawfully interfere with access to his family.
https://ogelenews.ng/el-rufai-n10bn-suit-against-icpc
Latest Suit Adds to El-Rufai’s Legal Battles
The El-Rufai N10bn suit against ICPC is not the former governor’s first fundamental-rights action involving the anti-graft agency.
In February, he instituted a separate ₦1 billion suit challenging an alleged search of his Abuja residence.
That case, marked FHC/ABJ/CS/345/2026, questioned the validity of a search warrant issued by a Chief Magistrate of the Federal Capital Territory Magistrates’ Court.
El-Rufai claimed that the search violated constitutional protections relating to dignity, personal liberty, fair hearing and privacy.
The suit was later amended, with the magistrate who issued the warrant removed as a defendant.
The former Kaduna governor has also been involved in other criminal and constitutional proceedings arising from investigations by federal security and anti-corruption agencies.
That wider legal context makes the latest case particularly significant because it shifts attention from the allegations being investigated against El-Rufai to the conduct of the state institutions holding him.
Court to Determine Competing Claims
The El-Rufai N10bn suit against ICPC raises an important distinction between the state’s power to lawfully detain a suspect and its obligations concerning the treatment of that person while in custody.
El-Rufai’s case is essentially that even if his detention is lawful, his constitutional rights to dignity and family life continue to exist.
The ICPC’s previous position, on the other hand, is that its access restrictions are lawful security procedures and do not amount to inhumane treatment or violation of court orders.
Those positions are not mutually resolved merely by public statements.
They will have to be tested against the relevant court orders, constitutional provisions, evidence of what occurred during the disputed visits and the commission’s detention protocols.
Why Due Process Matters
The legal battle also carries wider significance beyond the personalities involved.
Anti-corruption agencies have broad investigative responsibilities, but their powers remain subject to the Constitution, legislation and judicial oversight.
Equally, being detained does not itself prove innocence or guilt in the underlying allegations.
El-Rufai remains entitled to the protection of the law even while allegations against him are being investigated or prosecuted. At the same time, filing a fundamental-rights suit does not establish that the ICPC has violated his rights.
That determination belongs to the court.
For that reason, responsible reporting on the El-Rufai N10bn suit against ICPC must distinguish allegations made in court papers from findings already made by a judge.
El-Rufai’s ₦10bn Demand Puts ICPC Under Fresh Legal Scrutiny
With the latest case, El-Rufai is asking the judiciary to determine whether the restrictions he says were placed on visits by his wife and son crossed the line from legitimate detention management into unconstitutional interference with family life.
The case also asks the court to determine whether the alleged actions justify the extraordinary ₦10 billion damages being sought.
For now, no such award has been made.
Neither has the court determined that the ICPC unlawfully denied the former governor access to his relatives.
The El-Rufai N10bn suit against ICPC is therefore best understood as another major legal confrontation between the detained former Kaduna governor and a federal anti-corruption institution, with constitutional rights, custodial powers and judicial oversight now at the centre of the dispute.
As proceedings continue at the Federal High Court in Abuja, the outcome could provide further guidance on the extent to which security and anti-corruption agencies may regulate family access to high-profile defendants in custody without infringing constitutional protections.
https://www.thecable.ng/el-rufai-sues-icpc-seeks-n10bn-over-alleged-denial-of-family-access































